Vegetarian festival: 24 September - 02 October 2014
Who's taking the 9-day vegetarian challenge with us?
A vegan diet for the purposes of spiritual cleansing and merit-making.
Day 6: Baked pineapple rice (Khao Aob Sub Pa Rod)
Whenever I have a slightly over-ripe pineapple, I turn it into a wonderful dish: stir-fried pineapple rice baked in a freshly carved pineapple bowl – it’s a work of art!
For one to two people
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
1. 2 cups of cooked rice
2. 1 whole pineapple
3. 100 g of diced pineapple
4. 100 g of peas
5. 50 g of fried cashew nuts
6. 50 g. unsalted butter
7. 1 tbsp. garlic (minced)
8. 1 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
9. 1 tbsp. sugar
10. 1/5 tsp. pepper
11. 3 tbsp. onion
12. 3 tbsp. bell peppers (diced)
- Take the pineapple, cut the top off, scoop out the flesh and dice.
- Heat a wok and stir fry butter and onion. Add pineapple pieces; fry until cooked well. Gradually add bell peppers, rice and peas, then season with soy sauce, sugar, and pepper.
- When finished, spoon the fried rice into the pineapple shell. Then, bake at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Dress with fried cashew nuts and serve.